Taxpayer Self-Help Resources

There is a wealth of self-help information for taxpayers available online. The Tax Clinic can help qualified taxpayers. However, for taxpayers who do not qualify for the Tax Clinic’s services, please refer to this list of taxpayer resources.

The resources provided are publicly available tax information, forms, and instructions helpful for resolving a federal tax problem. These resources are not exhaustive and use of them does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship with the Tax Clinic.

Federal Tax Research 

Learn about the federal income taxexemptions and standard deductionscredits and deductions and, taxable and nontaxable income. Also learn about tax information for members of the armed forces and deceased taxpayers. Information about cancelled debts, foreclosures, repossessions, and abandonments may also prove useful to you. It may be helpful to research the actual tax laws

Tax Return Preparation in Nevada  

Eligible individuals can get their tax returns prepared for free

Access Your IRS Account Online and Find Out about Your Refund 

Access your account transcripts online or by mail so that you can see any amounts you owe for past years, income that was reported for you in past years, and actions the IRS has taken on your account. Use Where’s My Refund to check the status of your refund. 

Taxpayer Advocate Service  

Get help resolving your problems with the IRS when your own efforts have failed. As a taxpayer, you have rights

Understanding IRS Letters 

Find out what your IRS letter means and what the IRS wants you to do. 

Amending Tax Returns 

Correct errors made on your tax return by filing an amended return.  

Audit Reconsideration  

Find out where and how to send the IRS more information after the completion of an audit using Form 12661 if you disagree with the results of the audit or did not participate in the audit. Information about your rights during an audit can be found here. If you disagree with the IRS and want to take your case to the U.S. Tax Court, you can file a petition to have your case heard by a judge. There is a fee for filing the petition, but you may be able to get it waived

IRS Collections  

Find out about your rights regarding levies and liens. Collections information can be found, here and here. The form for requesting that the IRS stop levying your paycheck can be found here and here (if your financial situation is more complicated—find instructions here). You may also ask the Taxpayer Advocate Service to help with a levy by sending them Form 911. The forms for asking the IRS to settle your debt for less than what you owe can be found here.  

Getting Information from the IRS and Giving Information to the IRS 

Find out how to request information from the IRS. Notify the IRS of any change of address so that you do not miss important mailed communications.  

Divorce and Child Exemption/Credit Issues 

Find information about tax issues that may arise during divorce or separation. If you are a custodial parent, there is a form for allowing the noncustodial parent to claim your child for an exemption and certain credits.  

Withholding and Estimated Payments 

Find out how much tax you should be paying throughout the year by going here and here. There is a form for reporting estimated taxes. Estimated tax payments can be made online.  

Identity Theft Resolution 

If you believe someone filed a tax return using your Social Security Number or ITIN or you are a victim of identity theft, you can report it to the IRS.  

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) Applications 

Apply for an ITIN to file your federal income tax return if you do not qualify for a Social Security Number. Instructions can be found here. The Tax Clinic prepares ITIN applications for free for anyone who speaks English as a second language or whose income is not above a certain amount.  

Innocent Spouse Relief and Injured Spouse Relief 

If the IRS is holding you responsible for an error on a return that you filed with your spouse and you feel the error is not your fault or you did not know about the error, you may be an innocent spouse. There is a form for requesting innocent spouse relief. The instructions for the innocent spouse relief form are here.  If the IRS took part of your refund to pay for your spouse’s child support obligation, student loan, or other federal debt, you may be an injured spouse. You can fill out this form to request injured spouse relief and the instructions for the form are here.