Admission to the United States Supreme Court Bar
Dean Daniel Hamilton and the UNLV William S. Boyd School of Law are pleased to host its inaugural U.S. Supreme Court Swearing-In ceremony on Monday, June 1, 2020 in Washington, D.C. Please join us for all or part of the events planned. The Court allows only 30 of our graduates to participate in the 2020 Swearing-In ceremony. You must be a member of your State Bar for at least three years. Please see the detailed instructions and information below. The deadline to submit all information to the Boyd School of Law is March 23, 2020.
Qualifications for Admission
There are two ways to gain admission to the Supreme Court:
Open Court Admission
In this admission, the applicant is presented in court on June 1, 2020, during a special session.
Admittees must mail the following to the Boyd School of Law no later than March 23, 2020. Event registration will be completed online through Eventbrite and must be completed also by March 23.
- Complete Application for Admission to Practice (see also Instructions for Admission to the Bar (22 KB PDF)).
- Obtain Endorsements of two sponsors (see Application for Admission) who are members of the Supreme Court Bar who know the applicant personally and are not related to the applicant by blood or marriage. (Boyd Law can assist you with this requirement if you are unable to secure signatures from two individuals who have previously been admitted to the U.S. Supreme Court).
- Certificate of Good Standing from the presiding judge, clerk, or authorized official of the highest court of a State, Commonwealth, Territory or Possession, or of the District of Columbia evidencing the fact that the admittee has been a member of the Bar of such court for three years. Nevada attorneys should contact the State Bar of Nevada. Don’t delay obtaining this as it may take up to a week to process.
- Boyd Law Registration Form
- The optional activity on Tuesday, June 2, is a self-guided 45-minute tour of the White House. If multiple individuals in your party will participate, our office will submit the required documentation for each person. Three months prior to the tour, our group will be assigned a time between 7:30 a.m. and noon for this tour.
- U.S. Supreme Court Swearing-in Fee is $200 per admittee. Please note that only checks are accepted, made payable to the Supreme Court of the United States, and dated June 1, 2020. Credit card payment is not available for the Swearing-in Fee.
Boyd Law is limited to 30 alumni determined on a first-come, first-served basis, determined by the date of mailed receipt of completed materials to the law school. Each admittee may bring one guest into the courtroom to witness the ceremony. Additional guests may be allowed at the discretion of the Court.
Written Motion Admission
If you are unable to attend, you may be admitted by written motion. Graduates can file a completed application directly with the U.S. Supreme Court Clerk's Office. The certificate is mailed directly to the applicant. There is no quota on the number of graduates who can apply for admission by written motion.
Materials to be received to the UNLV William S. Boyd School of Law no later than March 23, 2020:
- Completed Application for Admission to Practice
- Completed Certificate of Good Standing with signatures of two sponsors who have been previously admitted to the U.S. Supreme Court. Boyd School will assist with obtaining sponsor signatures, if necessary.
- $200 check payable to the Supreme Court of the United States and dated June 1, 2020.
Mail to:UNLV William S. Boyd School of Law
ATTN: Nakia Jackson-Hale
PO Box 451003
4505 S. Maryland Parkway
Las Vegas, NV 89154-1003
Complete online the Event Registration by no later than March 23, 2020.