Rachel J. Anderson
Professor of Law
Areas of expertise:
Business Organizations, International Business Transactions, International Law, and Diversity Leadership.
Rachel J. Anderson is a tenured Professor of Law at the William S. Boyd School of Law, UNLV. She teaches courses on Business Organizations, International Business Transactions, International Law, Diversity Leadership. Professor Anderson advises the Black Law Students Association and the NAACP College Chapter. She has published numerous articles in reputed general and specialty law journals, as well as publications for legal practitioners. Her work is widely cited in law reviews, books, and other publications. Professor Anderson is actively engaged in legal academia and organizations at the local, state, and national levels and is often invited as a speaker for academic conferences, Continuing Legal Education seminars, and community events. She also coordinates the Law School’s Voter Education Program that brings high school students to the Law School and UNLV campus each year. Professor Anderson’s contributions have been recognized with numerous awards, including Special Congressional Recognition from both sides of the aisle and the State Bar of Nevada’s Medal of Justice.
Professor Anderson earned her J.D. from the University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, her M.A. in International Policy Studies from Stanford University, and her Zwischenpruefung from the Humboldt University in Berlin, Germany. While earning her J.D. at U.C. Berkeley, she served as Articles Editor on the California Law Review, Executive Editor on the Berkeley Journal of International Law, and Managing Editor of the Berkeley Journal of African-American Law & Policy. A longtime Nevada resident, Professor Anderson is a graduate of Edward C. Reed High School in Sparks, Nevada.
Professor Anderson is a Director of the American Society of Comparative Law (ASCL) and a member of ASCL's investment committee. She serves on the Investment Committee of Nevada’s Battle Born Growth Escalator Venture Program and on the Advisory Board of the Kenny Guinn Center for Policy Priorities. She is a member of the Board of Directors of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Nevada and currently serves as a Vice President of the Nevada affiliate and on the ACLU National Board of Directors. She is also the Recording Secretary for the Las Vegas Chapter (NV) of The Links, Inc. and a member of the National Bar Association (NBA). Professor Anderson also serves on the Board of Directors of the U.C. Berkeley Alumni Chapter in Las Vegas and the Council of African American Professionals at UNLV.
Before becoming member of the full-time faculty at the William S. Boyd School of Law, UNLV in 2007, Professor Anderson worked at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP (UK) in London, England, and MVV Consulting GmbH in Berlin, Germany. She has experience in international development projects and general corporate, mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, and securities matters.
Professor Anderson is the recipient of numerous awards, including:
- Urban Chamber of Commerce, Women in Business Award, 2015
- U.S. Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), Certificate of Commendation, 2015
- U.S. Senator Dean Heller (R-Nev.), Senatorial Recognition, 2015
- U.S. Congresswoman Dina Titus (D-Nev.), Certificate of Special Congressional Commendation, 2015
- U.S. Representative Joe Heck (R-Nev.), Certificate of Special Recognition, 2015
- U.S. Congressman Crescent Hardy (R-Nev.), Certificate of Congressional Recognition, 2015
- Lieutenant Governor Mark A. Hutchinson (R-Nev.), Certificate of Recognition, 2015
- Lawyers of Color Magazine, Law School Diversity 50 Under 50 List, 2014
- Progressive Leadership Alliance of Nevada, Certificate of Appreciation for Elevating the Conversation on Issues of Racial Equity and Social Justice, 2014
- U.S. Congressman Stephen Horsford (D-Nev.), Special Congressional Recognition, 2013
- Law Professors Division of the National Bar Association, Outstanding Service Award, 2013
- State Bar of Nevada, Medal of Justice, 2012
- University of California Berkeley, School of Law, Olin Law & Economics Fellowship, 2003
- University of California Berkeley, School of Law, Justice Ira F. Thomson Fellowship, 2002
In the News
September 14, 2016Las Vegas Review-Journal
March 24, 2016
January 22, 2016
November 16, 2015
June 19, 2015