Immigration Literacy for the Criminal Defense Attorney
Friday, May 31, 2019
Thomas and Mack Moot Court Facility
Approved for 1.5 CLE credits
This event is free of charge, registration is required
Click here to register
An overview of immigration related issues the Criminal Defense Attorney may encounter in representing a non-citizen client.
- Introduction to Crimmigration Law – Why it is critical for a criminal defense attorney to be able to spot crimmigration issues when representing non-citizen clients?
- Purposes of the CLE- To give criminal defense attorneys a starting point in the world of crimmigration. To help criminal defense attorneys understand specific issues that may raise concern and give them resources to gain answers to any issues raised.
- There are few things in crimmigration that are certain. Understanding the client’s goals in uncertainty is KEY~
- Immigration and Nationality Act
|2:00 - 2:05 p.m.
|Program - Basic Information you need to know about your client before you can understand the consequences of a plea agreement:
- Immigration Status – This is the most important
- Family ties
- Immigration Timeline – multiple entries and exits into the US can be problematic
- Types of Immigration Status
- Visitor Visa
- Student visa
- Work related visas – H1B, Investor visa’s, Performance, etc.
- Inadmissibility (INA §212) vs. Deportability (INA § 237)
- Overview of criminal grounds of inadmissibility and deportability
- Overview of which one applies in which scenarios.
- Definition of a conviction for Immigration
- Danger of Stay Adjudications
- Danger of No Contest Pleas
- Introduction to CIMTs
- What to look for in negotiations
- Introduction to Aggravated Felonies
- Where to find in INA
- What to look for
- Drug Offenses
- Inadmissibility vs deportability
- Update on litigation in the area
- Discussion Categorical Approach
- Common issues
|2:05 - 3:15 p.m.
|Questions and Answers
||3:15 - 3:25 p.m.
||3:25 - 3:30 p.m.