Director of the Appellate Clinic
Professor of Law
Areas of expertise:
Sentencing, Habeas Corpus, Criminal Law and Procedure, Appellate Law, Federal Courts
Professor Traum is a recognized leader in promoting access to justice. She joined the Boyd School of Law in 2008 after a career as a public service litigator, first as a trial attorney at the U.S. Department of Justice (1998-2002) and then as an Assistant Federal Public Defender in Nevada (2002-2008). She served as the law school’s first Associate Dean for Experiential Legal Education (2013-2015) and directs the Appellate Clinic and co-directs the Misdemeanor Clinic. From 2015 to 2016, while on leave from teaching, she served as Special Counsel in the Office for Access to Justice in the U.S. Department of Justice. In April 2016, President Obama nominated Professor Traum to be a Federal District Court Judge in the District of Nevada, but the Senate did not act on the nomination before the end of the 114th Congress.
Professor Traum is deeply committed to ensuring that the judicial system responds to the needs of every person and has spent much of her career representing indigent clients in court and working with courts to enhance access and legal services. Her efforts have included:
- Serving on the Nevada Right to Counsel Commission (appointed by Governor Sandoval), 2017-2018;
- Co-directing the Misdemeanor Clinic, in which students represent clients who are facing misdemeanor charges in local justice and municipal courts;
- Directing the Appellate Clinic, in which students represent clients in civil and criminal appeals before the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and the Nevada Supreme Court;
- Serving on the Pro Se Litigation Committee of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, since 2015;
- Co-chairing the Pro Bono Committee for the Nevada state bar’s Appellate Litigation Section, since 2012;
- Serving on the Nevada Supreme Court Access to Justice Commission, since 2011;
- Serving as Lawyer Representative for the District of Nevada (2013-2016) and Appellate Lawyer Representative to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals (2009-2011).
Professor Traum teaches Federal Courts, Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure Investigation, and Criminal Procedure Adjudication. Her articles on topics ranging from federal sentencing, guilty pleas, and constitutional law have been published in Maryland Law Review, Cardozo Law Review, Hastings Law Journal, Howard Law Journal, and Florida Law Review.
Professor Traum is a member of Temple Sinai in Las Vegas and serves as a regional board member for the Anti-Defamation League.
In the News
May 12, 2016
May 4, 2016
April 28, 2016Reid Announces Nomination Of Anne Traum To The U.S. District Court For The District of Nevada (Senator Harry Reid)
April 28, 2016
April 28, 2016